There are so many possible question types for the IELTS Speaking Part 3. This post will help you prepare for this speaking part with ease. Below you will find some topics that you can practice during your preparation for the IELTS exam.
Part 3 is a discussion of general and abstract ideas. This part lasts 4-5 minutes. This tests your ability to discuss and analyse ideas at length.
- Tell me about the types of food that people eat in your country.
- How are the eating habits now in your country different from eating habits in the past?
- How healthy is your country’s food?
- Why do you think different cultures have different table manners?
- How may eating habits change in coming decades?
- How are education priorities today different from those in the past?
- What is your opinion on the way languages are taught in schools?
- How can the type of school you go to affect career success?
- What changes do you think will happen in the classroom in the near future?
- What types of leisure activities are popular in your country?
- Why is it important for people to have time for leisure activities?
- Why are some activities more popular than others?
- Are the types of leisure activities that are popular today the same as those that were popular when your parents were young?
- What types of leisure activities may become more popular in the future?
- What types of sports are popular in your country?
- What are the benefits of playing a sport?
- Do you think the types of sport that are popular will change in the future?
- How can sports bring people from different countries closer together?
- Do you think children nowadays have too many toys?
- Do parents give their children toys instead of interacting with them?
- Do you think children learn better if they have fun at school or if the teacher is strict?
- What about respect for elders, does that vary in different countries
- How do most people travel long distances in your country?
- Have the types of transport people use changed much over the last few decades?
- What kinds of improvement have there been in transport in your country in recent years?
- Do you think transport is likely to continue to improve in the future?
Animals & Pets
- Do you think animals have feelings and rights? (Why?/Why not?)
- Some people breed animals such as dogs for money. How do you feel about that?
- Do you think there should be laws to protect the welfare of pets and farm animals? (For example, laws against cruel treatment.) Why?/Why not?
- Are there any wild animals in your country that are not found in any other country?
- Are there any animal reserves in your country where wild animals can live with protection?
- For children, from what age do you think it becomes suitable for them to use cell phones?
- Is it common for children to use cellphones in your country?
- What do teenagers in your country use cellphones for?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a cellphone?
- Why are so many people addicted to social apps?
- Is higher education too expensive in your country?
- Should all students pay for their university education?
- What advantages do universities bring to society?
- Which is more important, research or teaching?
- How should students spend their summer vacations?
Retirement and old age
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- When should you start saving for retirement?
- Why do some companies encourage early retirement?
The internet and social media
- Which websites are popular among your generation?
- Is using the internet a social or solitary activity?
- How has the internet changed social behaviour?
- Should companies check job applicants’ online profiles?
- What will be the next big development online?
- How do advertisements attract attention from people?
- Do young and old people show the same attitude towards advertisements?
- Are advertisements a good or bad influence on children?
- Do advertisements actually influence people to buy things? If so, how?
- What are some harmful and beneficial effects of advertising?
- Is handwriting still important?
- Is it possible to improve a student’s handwriting after years?
- Are handwriting problems more common in boys or girls?
- What is the future of handwriting?
- Do you think that handwriting expresses the personality of a person?